Harriet cares for her 20 year old son (Jorden) who suffers with Autism, Harriet suffers with her own mental and physical health issues and has 2 children aged 13 (Harriet’s young carer) and 6.
Harriet was referred to DCA by Jorden’s social worker as she was struggling to cope throughout this challenging time.
Harriet has less one to one time with Jorden as her younger children are not able to attend school, this is impacting on Jorden’s behaviour thus making the situation more stressful for Harriet.
Harriet is feeling more stressed and said the current situation was harder and more challenging, one the main reasons for this is her younger children needing ongoing stimulation.
DCA support worker has
- · Signposted to NHS helpline
- · Signposted to Rethink Emotional Support Helpline
- · Signposted to National Autistic Society helpline – interventions 1, 2, 3 undertaken with the aim of providing support to Harriet as needed throughout this time
- · Made Harriet aware of the young carers service and how to access it in terms of her 13 year old son who is classed as her young carer (this intervention included collaboration with the young carer service in terms of potential support which will in turn help Harriet)
- · Requested a replacement carers emergency card from Derbyshire County Council
- · Arranged a support call from DCA
- · Applied for a carer’s personal budget to purchase a large garden trampoline to enable the children to get exercise in the garden, providing some entertainment and stimulation and enabling Harriet to continue with some of the one to one time with Jorden which is paramount to Jorden and the whole families wellbeing
Further contact has been made with Harriet to discuss the relevance of the emergency food vouchers.
Carers Survey from Carers UK
Carers UK have launched a new survey for unpaid Carers to help them understand Carers' experience of...Read more
Age UK Summer Activities 2021
Age UK Derby and Derbyshire have put together a whole host of Summer / Autumn events Ev...Read more