Carers Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is the main welfare benefit that is available to help carers.

You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You won’t be paid extra if you care for more than one person.

If you think you won’t be eligible to claim Carer’s Allowance due to having some savings, don’t worry. Your savings and your National Insurance record won’t make a difference to your claim.

You may be eligible if you:

  • spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person (you don’t have to live with them or be related to them)
  • care for someone who receives the higher-rate or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, either rate of Personal Independence Payment daily living component, or any rate of Attendance Allowance
  • do not earn more than £120 a week (after deductions)
  • are not in full-time education

If you get the State Pension you won’t be paid any Carer’s Allowance, but it’s still worth making a claim, because if you’re eligible then you could be awarded extra Pension Credit or Housing Benefit instead.

If you’re claiming Universal Credit, you may be able to get an extra amount because of your caring role without actually applying for Carer’s Allowance. This is known as a carer element.
For more information and/or to make a claim click here …

Attendance Allowance (AA)

If you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you then Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs.
It’s paid at 2 different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need.

You can get Attendance Allowance if you’re 65 or over and the following apply:

  • you have a physical disability (including sensory disability, for example blindness), a mental disability (including learning difficulties), or both


  • your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for your own or someone else’s safety
  • you have needed that help for at least 6 months (unless you’re terminally ill)

For more information and/or to make a claim click here …

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

If you are aged 16 to 64 and have long term ill-health or a disability then you may be entitled to Personal Independence Payment.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people who may need help getting around or with daily activities because of a long-term illness or disability.

PIP has two parts to it – a mobility component and a daily living component.

To be eligible for PIP you must be aged 16 to 64 and have a health condition or disability where you:

  • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
  • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months (unless you’re terminally ill with less than 6 months to live)

For more information and/or to make a claim click here …

Have you lost your job? Struggling to pay rent or council tax?

Have you lost your job? Struggling to pay rent or council tax? Need help filling in forms? DERBYSHIR...

Read more
Dementia Support in Derbyshire During Covid 19

We know that this is a worrying time for people living with dementia and their families and carers. ...

Read more
Nows the time to get online

Citizens Advice Mid Mercia are offering help to get ‘online’   Either call Citizens...

Read more